Thursday, October 2, 2014

Let's get moving! 
Classes have started and I've entered the "second stage" of living here. The first week was full of spontaneous adventures, meeting as many new people as possible, cultural integration, and trying to fall asleep to the sound of raging club music spilling over from the student bar just down the sidewalk. By the end of the week, I was ready for a routine. As much as I love being spontaneous... I started to feel burned out and useless, too tired and disorganized to fully enjoy anything. So I took the Sabbath to refocus spiritually. Now that I've been here exactly 2 weeks and have started classes, I am starting to feel like myself again! Quiet devotional time is back in my life (thank goodness) and so is eating healthy green things! (Fish & Chips are cheap, easy to find, delicious, and very British...so of course I ate them a TON last week). Along with these positive things, I also sensed myself exiting the "honeymoon stage". Not that I'm unhappy in any way, but I started to complain about things that I didn't even notice during the first week. But then I just remind myself of all the good and the temptation to complain soon disintegrates. 
Monday started with an Aerial 1 Theory Lecture. I've never studied dance theory and I'm actually super excited. It's going to require a good amount of research, but it'g going to benefit my practical application. 
On Tuesday I had a 6 hour Aerial class. SIX HOURS. We learned the basics of bungee, static line, and vertical wall. All requiring an incredibly painful hip harness. Harnesses are to Aerial as Point Shoes are to Ballet. The program is very prestigious and I am honored to have this opportunity. It's still sinking in. I really can't wait to see what God is doing here through all of this. 
I have Wednesdays off and then Post-Modern Dance on Thursdays. What I took from today's class: 

throw every conventional dance technique out the window and do whatever you want in whatever context you want just make sure you know what you're telling the audience and that's post-modern dance.

I like pointing my toes and I like telling stories. So a style of dance that doesn't require either is going to be very good for me. Cheers to stretching and growing as an artist!

No comments:

Post a Comment