Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Wow! It has been almost a month since my last blog entry and so much has happened! I've had weeks full of wonder and wandering, and now I need to process and reflect. I always say that I am going to journal more, blog more, record my memories in more detail...but before I have time, I'm on to the next adventure (I'm not complaining!). But it certainly is important to process and reflect. Without it, those memories and experiences don't reach their full value. Looking back on memorable moments helps define us. If I run for too long without stopping and pondering...I go numb. And everything seems excess and lavish because I'm not living presently or gratefully in the blessings. So here are some blessed moments that I really need to soak in. I hope this inspires you to grab some coffee (or afternoon tea!) and contemplate a recent moment that could possibly change you for the better. 


After a busy three days of Aerial rehearsals, assessments, and performance, I started my "reading week" (a designated week off of school to study....oops) with a bang. Literally. It was the 5th of November a.k.a Bonfire Night or Guy Fawkes Day. Fireworks and Bonfires filled the air with haze and left our clothes smelling like Autumn. I joined Professors Liz and John Willner, Brooke, Misael, Eliot and Gianmarco to Manchester to see a Man City game. I'm a Liverpool fan but I couldn't refuse cheap tickets to see a professional football game. We ate at a barbecue restaurant beforehand and it was fun to try American food in England. We chatted with the waiter and as soon as he knew we were a group from Oklahoma, (minus Gianmarco...he's from Italy and Eliot...he's from France), he was so excited! He showed us that their smokers are from OK and he insisted that we give him our honest opinion on the food. I'm not going to lie...it was probably some of the best BBQ I've had. We proceeded to the game and to our pure astonishment, discovered that our 15GBP tickets were for the second row. Not sure how that happened...but IT WAS AMAZING. It was an exciting Champions League Match against Moscow. Man City lost after 2 unfortunate red cards. We were disappointed with the score...but not with the experience! The temperature dropped and we all headed home with hot chocolate in hand. 



November 6th was an early morning scramble to pack essentials into a backpack, print itineraries, and catch a cheap flight to Dublin. It was an eventful weekend full of Irish music, historic sights, pubs, and getting in touch with our Irish heritage. Cead mile failte! (One hundred thousand welcomes! Gaelic.)

By-far the best experience in Dublin was partaking in a traditional Irish music session in the upstairs of this family-owned pub. They asked us to sing a song...we just started to sing "Oklahoma". Little did we know, they LOVE Rogers and Hammerstein. 

  Meandering in the Old Library Long Room at Trinity College. 

 High-kicking for The Book of Kells! Trinity College

 St. Patrick's Cathedral. Praise God for the Saints who have gone before us.

 A magical escape to the National Botanical Gardens. I think that's where the fairies live.  


 The doors of Dublin...

Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin. The story of Tom & Jerry developed here and Strongbow (the great Cider maker) is buried here. 

Thanks to Brooke, so many of these adventures are visually preserved. Thanks for your beautiful photos, Brooke.

///////

From Ireland I headed to Bristol to begin my individual exploration of Western England. 



I stayed in a B&B in Somerset for my first night. It was an old 1600's cottage nestled in the countryside. It was pure luxury in contrast to the hostel-hopping that I had been doing. I was very grateful. 


From there, I traveled to Bath. 

 The Ancient Roman Baths. Absolutely fascinating. Incredible archaeological finds. 

I FOUND WHERE ALL THE SPECIALTY COFFEE IS HIDING!! BATH! So many great local cafes...



For centuries the wealthy have come to Bath to flaunt their wealth and take a dip in the healing spas. Jane Austen spent 5 years here and Bath has been used in numerous films including The Duchess. 

"I really believe I shall always be talking of Bath, when I am at home again–I do like it so very much…. Oh! Who can ever be tired of Bath?" -Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey


Then onward to Historic Portsmouth! You know when you go somewhere and you can't stop thinking, "Man,(insert name) would love this SO much!"? That is all I could think in regards to my father. I wish you had been there, Dad!

The oldest naval ship still in commission. Lord Horatio Nelson's HMS Victory. Used in the Battle of Trafalgar. (currently receiving maintenance).


Then a long but scenic train ride to Stratford-Upon-Avon!

 The Bard's birthplace!!


 Rainy English mornings require a proper English breakfast. 
(I left the black pudding alone...)


 Holy Trinity Church. A lovely working church that's very proud of their famous deceased member. 


 HERE LIES SHAKESPEARE.

Shakespeare monument overlooking the River Avon. 

Managed to catch an incredible (yay student tickets!) performance of Much Ado About Nothing by the Royal Shakespeare Company. It inspired me and made me hungry to grow as an actress. 


Lastly...to the Peak District!

My lovely friend Laura let me stay at her house. Her family was so gracious and hospitable. I loved experiencing the culture in a proper English home.  



 Jane Eyre was filmed in this region. So of course I took a moment to feel the mist in my face and pretend that I was her. 


 Soul-food. 

 Chatsworth Estate. The home of the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire. 


Acres and acres of elaborate gardens. And for 18 GBP you can explore them and support the monarchical system!


The week was exhilarating and formative. Shedding excess and carrying my necessities on my back is always freeing. Thanks to public transportation, I was able to see a lot of this beautiful country in a short amount of time. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment